Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Final Blog Post


        My final art project is a full scale painting of myself, similar to the work of Edgar Degas. Degas was famous for sculptures of tiny dancers so i decided to take on a similar idea. I traced my body on pieces of paper and painted my body black to represent a shadow. I sponged on primary colors around my body to represent all the hopes and dreams I have. I then placed basketball in my hand to represent going up for a dunk on the court. Degas explained that his sculptures were created to show how people want to become a "superstar", a famous person per say, while keeping their identity. It is important to remember where you came from in order to reach wherever it is your going. The shadow is me as a young kid and also me today, showing how I have grown and achieved new heights. i chose primary colors because they have a significant meaning to me. Every morning when i would wake up and go to the gym, I would walk past a group of trees. One had red leaves, one yellow, and the other green. I chose to use blue instead of green because the blue represented the sky and mixes with yellow to make green. This painting is significant to me and really opened my eyes to Degas' work.
       This semester was definitely a positive experience, and I will take home many things from this class. I learned different styles to paint, different ways of painting, and how uses of colors can effect a painting. I also learned how to use photoshop and ways to play around with it. One thing I can use from this class is how to appeal to a focal point. Whether it be a presentation or a painting, I can frame it to capture the audience's attention and get them to see my message. One suggestion i have for this class is learning more about different painters and the styles they use. This was a great class overall and I'm glad i took it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment